Create your own personalised health report
Tuscan bean soup
by Charlotte Watts
2 tins mixed beans
2 cloves garlic
1 large red onion
4 rashers thin cut bacon, non-streaky (optional)
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp mixed herbs
1 chicken or vegetable stock cube
- Drain and wash the mixed beans.
- Crush the garlic and finely slice the onion.
- If using, cut the bacon into small squares.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and if using bacon, add first and fry briefly. Then add the garlic and onion and fry for 10 minutes to soften the onion.
- Add the beans, mixed herbs, 1 litre of water and stock cube or the stock.
- Bring back to the boil, turn down the heat and then simmer for 15 minutes on a low heat.
- Serve in soup bowls and eat immediately.