Spinach & halloumi salad
by Sanna Anderson
Preparation time: 20 minutes
250g bag of baby spinach leaves
½ of 250g box of mushrooms, sliced
75g frozen petit pois
1 leek, finely sliced
1 yellow pepper, cubed
250g Halloumi cheese (1 pack)
- Wash and dry the spinach and put into a salad bowl. Mix 1 tablespoon of pesto with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and drizzle some over the spinach leave and mix well to distribute the dressing.
- Finely slice the leeks and mushrooms and cube the yellow pepper. Heat some olive oil in a frying pan, add the vegetables and a little water. Reduce heat and put the lid on to steam fry the vegetables until they are softened, stirring occasionally.
- Add the frozen petit pois towards the end and continue to steam fry for another 2 minutes until the peas are defrosted and warmed up. If using fresh ones, you will only need to heat them through for approximately 1 minute.
- Add 1 tablespoon of pesto to the vegetables and heat through and then layer over the spinach leaves.
- Slice the halloumi into 1-1.5cm thick, place on some kitchen towel and pat dry. Heat a non-stick frying pan using no oil and when the pan is warm, add the halloumi slices. Fry them until the under-side starts turning golden brown. Turn them over, and fry briefly on the other side. Layer the halloumi pieces over the vegetables, sprinkle some of the pesto and olive oil mix on them and serve the salad.
- You can also substitute the halloumi with goats cheese disks (gently heated up on both sides) or with chicken. Cut 2 chicken breasts into small pieces, fry gently until cooked through and add some pesto and heat through, then add to the salad.