Spiced chicken and vegetable soup
by Charlotte Watts
This recipe shows how easy it is to cook with spices and that they don’t have to create a very hot dish.
1 small onion
¼ savoy cabbage
3 skinless chicken legs
2 cloves garlic
1 tbsp olive oil
½ tsp ground turmeric
½ tsp ground coriander
½ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp ground ginger
1 chicken or vegetable stock cube or 1 ½ litres stock on page XX
Chopped parsley to garnish
- Chop the onions finely and chop the carrots, leeks and cabbage roughly.
- Finely dice the chicken and crush the garlic.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan, add the onions and gently soften, stirring continually.
- Add the turmeric, coriander, cumin, ginger and stir into the onions. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add a litre and a half of water and the stock cube or a litre and a half of the stock, bring to the boil, add the chicken legs and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the chopped vegetables and simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Remove the chicken bones, separate out the meat into fine shreds and thoroughly stir the soup.
- Pour into bowels, garnish with parsley and serve immediately.