Basic vegetable stock
by Charlotte Watts
We have given you this stock as the perfect base to start making your own recipes. Just add vegetables, chicken, fish or pulses in any combination to rustle up a quick meal. You can select the best choices from the foods you have been recommended in your report.
Serves 4-6 depending on extra ingredients added to make a soup
2 stalks of celery, including leaves
2 large carrots
1 bunch spring onions
1 large onions
1 bunch fresh parsley
1 bunch fresh thyme
1 dsp peas
- Chop the vegetables into very small chunks.
- Chop the fresh herbs roughly.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan, add all of the vegetables, herbs and the peas. Cook over a high heat for 5 minutes, stirring continually.
- Add 1 litre of water, bring to the boil. Lower the heat and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Strain and discard the vegetables.
- Use the stock as a basis for any soup by adding onions, garlic, vegetables, beans, chicken or tofu.